Today’s Daily Create prompts:
“We predict the next book by @anya1anya is about #ds106. Design her some cover art”
Originally, I thought I’d be clever by a half and do something snarky or funny but this ended up being quite a sincere work. Go figure.
I really think Anya should write her book as a feminist essay on the importance of having one’s own space.
I found the cover from this really interesting post. The author writes that Virginia Woolf’s “feminist and self-supportive ideas about an artist being enabled by having a room of one’s own, a place to create, a shelter, with the necessary financial and social support to do so – is worth consideration”
Agree. Yes. So. True.
My ex used to own gforsythe.net and he controlled the DNS which pointed to his server. It was infuriating when we separated that I was unable to access my own website or backups. In light of serious custody & access of our daughter, battling over a domain was low on my priorities. So I let gforsythe.net disappear into the ether.
Eventually, one of my greatest acts of empowerment was to acquire my own domain (this one). gforsythe.ca sat fairly barren until the emergence of #DS106, wherein all my creativity was dislodged. Oh, and people actually read and commented!
Unlike so many spaces online, the DS106 community is so inclusive, encouraging and helpful. I’ve never encountered any of the dreaded “ism”s that I keep reading about in other tech communities.
I think this would be a great book and might actually scratch the surface and do DS106 justice.
You’re welcome, Anya!
Technical aside: I imported the original cover into my iPad on AutoDesk Sketchbook Pro, created a new layer and traced the main elements and added the custom bits.
I modified the clock to a WordPress dashboard and the pearls at the bottom to some Chrome browser tabs.
Then I imported the drawing into Photoshop on my laptop and took a previous picture I’d taken at my friend’s bookstore and overlaid the drawing on another layer. I used the Free Transform-Skew to angle it properly. Then I used the eraser at 30% opacity to delete the hard edges to let the brown show through.